"River Lawn" Protected

Campaigners opposing development on River Lawn

The cabinet of Tonbridge and Malling Council has applied for Village Green status to prevent development of the "River Lawn" in the heart of Tonbridge.

A statement from the Green Party said: "This is a very significant moment and it comes soon after the confirmation by Kent County Council that Upper Castle Fields has become a Village Green after proposals to extend a car park over parts of it were abandoned".
 
The Green Party said: "The decision by the cabinet is the culmination of a long running campaign by the community led by Barden Residents' Association and Keep River Lawn Green who previously saw their application refused by K.C.C. on a technicality, there should be no obstacle with voluntary registration by the landowner this time". 

The River Green area is shown on the map below:

The key requirement under the Commons Act for an area to be declared a "Village Green" is that a significant number of the inhabitants of the locality have indulged as of right in lawful sports and pastimes on the land for a period of at least 20 years.

The Green Party statement continued: "The decision by the cabinet is the culmination of a long running campaign by the community led by Barden Residents' Association and Keep River Lawn Green who previously saw their application refused by KCC on a technicality, there should be no obstacle with voluntary registration by the landowner this time". 

The Green Party news release also stated: "The Keep River Lawn Green Group has campaigned for nine years to achieve protection for the open space ...Many thanks to everyone who has played any part in their campaign. 

"The site was considered for development by the Conservative administration in 2016, until a change of leadership led to the policy to sell being reversed.

"Since the change of heart by the council a policy of 'rewilding' has been imposed which leaves the area managed by a single cut each year.

"At last night's meeting Cabinet Member Cllr Robin Betts commented that "It is a bit sad that the rewilding will have to go" which suggests that this unpopular management technique for this location will be coming to an end".

More from WEST KENT NEWS

  • Sevenoaks Primary School Shut by Vandals

    Hundreds of primary school children in Sevenoaks have been told they cannot return to classes after the summer holidays end on 2nd September.

  • 100 Homes for Hadlow

    More green fields are to be replaced by housing under a plan for the north west of Hadlow.

  • 500th Park Run in Dunorlan

    The Tunbridge Wells Park Run is marking a major milestone on Saturday 30th August.

  • Resisting Asylum Hotels

    Audio

    The leader of Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council has said he will "fight very hard" any attempt by the government to house asylum seekers in local hotels.

  • Oast House Restoration

    A disused historic building in Sevenoaks is to be restored and made the centrepiece of a new housing estate.

  • Paddock Wood Building Boom

    Plans have been unveiled for 500 more homes on farmland to the west of Paddock Wood.

  • River Pollution Kills Insects

    There are virtually no rivers left in Kent with a good rating for their water quality, according to the latest Environment Agency report.

  • Battle for Kent Territory Intensifies

    The Conservative leader of Tonbridge and Malling Borough has accused Labour-run Medway Council of being "disrespectful" for its ideas on carving up Kent's existing councils.

Comments

Add a comment

On Air Now Brian Johnson 7:00am - 10:00am
Now Playing
Love Is A Stranger The Eurythmics
Recently Played
  • She Moves In Her Own Way The Kooks 7:52
  • Pink Pony Club Chappell Roan 7:46
  • Travel Update West Kent Radio 7:45

COMING UP

  • Chris Manser

    10:00am - Noon

    Mid Mornings

  • Lunch Break

    Noon - 2:00pm

    Music, News & Features sponsored by The Arty Farty Retreat