Properties "Too big"

Thursday, 10 April 2025 11:51

By Daniel Esson, Local Democracy Reporter

Councillors have rejected plans to build 44 homes on the redundant AXA office site in Tunbridge Wells.

The developers described the new designs as “beautiful”, but others claimed that “only people with a million or more” would be able to afford them.

Philips House and Eynsham House in Tunbridge Wells town centre have sat empty since 2023.

Kier Properties and the Housing Growth Partnership (HGP) then submitted plans in May last year to knock down the brutalist blocks (shown below), and replace them with 44 homes, saying there is a “much greater need for family housing” than office space in the town.

At a meeting of the council’s planning committee on April 2, the final call on the bid for 38 townhouses and six flats was meant to be made.

Planning officers were recommending members approve the plans, praising the “highly sustainable location” and use of brownfield land.

“We believe this is a terrific scheme – it will transform a redundant site with beautiful family homes,” Kier Managing Director David Bridges told the committee.

CGI of the proposed redevelopment of the former AXA offices in Tunbridge Wells

Planning agent for the developers Nick Alston also spoke in favour, saying: “Some people did raise concerns – this is typical in any major planning application. However the overwhelming message was supportive, we need to build more homes in Tunbridge Wells.”

There were 73 representations sent in to the council’s planning department, of which 62 were in favour.

But Paul Avis, chairman of Royal Tunbridge Wells Civic Society claimed at the meeting these positive comments were “mobilised by housebuilders’ pressure groups.”

“We were surprised and disappointed by the frankly mediocre scheme presented by the applicants,” he added, calling for “more housing” on the site.

Photo Credit: Kier Property and Housing Growth Partnership

Cllr Hugo Pound (Lab) could not attend the meeting, but in a statement read on his behalf, he said approving it would be “denying young people the opportunity to live and work in town.

“This is effectively an exclusive development in the middle of town which only people with a million or more will be able to afford – a development that very few genuinely local people want or need.”

He too argued for flats instead: “The more flats we build in town, the less we have to build in rural areas.”

No affordable homes were set to be built on the site as it would make the scheme “unviable”, but the developers agreed to contribute £363,000 to providing affordable housing elsewhere.

The six flats were meant to be sold as shared ownership properties.

A planning officer stressed that the site is allocated for homes in the local plan the council is currently working on.

However, Cllr Brendan Le Page (Lib Dem) said: “I’m worried about the fact that 70% of the houses are four bedrooms and the fact that’s going to exclude a mix of families and a mix of incomes from living in the centre of Tunbridge Wells.”

“Flats are what are needed,” added Cllr Alex Britcher-Allan (Lab).

The council’s planning committee ended up voting unanimously to defer the plans, asking for a new footpath to be added, and changes to the designs of the homes.

More from WEST KENT NEWS

  • Sevenoaks Primary School Shut by Vandals

    Hundreds of primary school children in Sevenoaks have been told they cannot return to classes after the summer holidays end on 2nd September.

  • 100 Homes for Hadlow

    More green fields are to be replaced by housing under a plan for the north west of Hadlow.

  • 500th Park Run in Dunorlan

    The Tunbridge Wells Park Run is marking a major milestone on Saturday 30th August.

  • Resisting Asylum Hotels

    Audio

    The leader of Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council has said he will "fight very hard" any attempt by the government to house asylum seekers in local hotels.

  • Oast House Restoration

    A disused historic building in Sevenoaks is to be restored and made the centrepiece of a new housing estate.

  • Paddock Wood Building Boom

    Plans have been unveiled for 500 more homes on farmland to the west of Paddock Wood.

  • River Pollution Kills Insects

    There are virtually no rivers left in Kent with a good rating for their water quality, according to the latest Environment Agency report.

  • Battle for Kent Territory Intensifies

    The Conservative leader of Tonbridge and Malling Borough has accused Labour-run Medway Council of being "disrespectful" for its ideas on carving up Kent's existing councils.

Comments

Add a comment

On Air Now Brian Johnson 7:00am - 10:00am
Now Playing
Love Is A Stranger The Eurythmics
Recently Played
  • She Moves In Her Own Way The Kooks 7:52
  • Pink Pony Club Chappell Roan 7:46
  • Travel Update West Kent Radio 7:45

COMING UP

  • Chris Manser

    10:00am - Noon

    Mid Mornings

  • Lunch Break

    Noon - 2:00pm

    Music, News & Features sponsored by The Arty Farty Retreat