KCC Councillor Allowances Cut

Thursday, 22 May 2025 19:06

By Simon Finlay, Local Democracy Reporter

Reform UK's new leadership of Kent County Council has announced the creation of a new post to find savings.

Reform UK presided over its first full Kent County Council (KCC) meeting today, with the new leader also announcing a cut in councillor allowances.

This would generate £100,000 in savings to be redirected to councillors’ grant funding to support community organisations to benefit local communities.

On a morning dominated by frequent applause and table thumping by Reform’s members, KCC’s new leader Linden Kemkaran said she regarded her new role as a “privilege”.

But she pledged to look at every area of spending at the authority with the creation of a department of local government efficiency (DOLGE) funded by axeing an existing post.

The leader poured cold water on the government’s local government reforms, which would see KCC and every other council in Kent abolish themselves and be replaced by a smaller number of larger unitary authorities.

Cllr Kemkaran (pictured below) said reorganisation was “hurtling down the tracks” and doubts it is good for the county.

She said: “I am not entirely convinced that it is the right thing for Kent. My primary concern is that local government reorganisation (LGR) is designed to carve up our county and essentially remove our unique identity.

“There is a danger LGR will mean Kent would lose its sense of “one county, one people” where the wealthy areas support those less well off as well as take powers away from communities.”

Later, the Green Party’s Stuart Jeffery said that he found Cllr Kemkaran’s stance “a bit worrying”.

He added: “It doesn’t sound like she wants to work constructively with the other councils to take reorganisation proposals to the (government) minister. She did not seem happy with the concept of reorganisation.”

Cllr Kemkaran said other priorities include finding new solutions to reduce disruption on Kent’s roads and adequate government funding of social care, which represents a huge chunk of KCC’s £1.5bn annual budget.

She is committed, too, to the improvement of education, skills and training for young people.

The DOLGE model, said the leader, would have no set-up costs as she has replaced one cabinet post, with those responsibilities distributed around other portfolio holders. DOLGE will be run by Cllr Matthew Moat.

It is based on the US President Donald Trump’s department of government efficiency (DOGE) headed up by billionaire Elon Musk to root out wasteful spending.

Cllr Kemkaran said she is “super-excited” about what has potentially been found by her councillors, so far.

In her 10 minute address to members, Cllr Kemkaran pledged to work “positively” with all staff, councils and Kent MPs to deliver the best for local residents.

When Liberal Democrat Cllr Mike Sole raised the question of flags with Cllr Kemkaran, both she and the newly appointed chairman Cllr Richard Palmer stuck to the pledge only to fly the union flag, the county flag and that of St George. The only exceptions would be those to mark royal occasions and the armed forces.

A member of the packed gallery above the chamber, Labour supporting Maureen Cleator, who is also a local Maidstone borough councillor, draped a Ukrainian flag over the side.

Mrs Cleator said later that her son Stephen, a former soldier, had spent time in the war-torn country giving expert advice to the administration there and wanted to show solidarity with the Ukrainian people.

“There is nothing insensitive about wishing to focus the attention of people in this chamber on the people of Kent,” insisted Cllr Kemkaran.

Lib Dem opposition leader Antony Hook is opposed to the flag question because there was “four square” cross-party support in the previous administration for the people of Ukraine.

Cllr Kemkaran said recently that she supported the Ukrainian people and had great admiration for them.

While the new administration will seek to make savings in the current budget, the main focus will be on 2026-27 and work on the basis of “the best possible services for the least cost” to tax-payers.

But Labour’s Cllr Alister Brady contended that by continuing the former Conservative administration’s budget, it meant “cuts to vulnerable people in Kent”.

The leader also declared she will support the banning of smart phones in schools and will examine Net Zero initiatives to see if they offer public benefits.

Later, Cllr Kemkaran defended her proposed 5% cut in allowances, worth around £850 per member per year, saying “we lead by example” to invest back in the community. It would apply to all councillors.

Cllr Stuart Jeffery said the remuneration for the amount of time and effort required to do the job of county councillor “would barely be minimum wage”.

Cllr Hook said later that his 12-strong group in opposition would be there to “scrutinise and challenge” the decisions of the new administration.
The Labour group leader Cllr Brady asked repeatedly what the new authority was going to do differently.

He added: “There has been nothing of substance as yet, so I am waiting to hear what is going to be different.”

Earlier, on taking over as chairman from Conservative Bryan Sweetland, Cllr Palmer said: “I’m incredibly proud to take on the role of Chairman of Kent County Council and it is a huge privilege to serve the residents of Kent in this way.

“I am looking forward to meeting and supporting as many people as I can in the year ahead and, most importantly, being able to raise the profile, along with much needed financial support, for my chosen charities.”

Cllr Palmer has chosen The Young Lives Foundation, which supports young people , and SATEDA, a domestic abuse charity supporting women and children across Kent.

KCC General Counsel Ben Watts thanked the local media for its “extensive coverage” of the May 1 election.

The Cabinet portfolio holders are:
Adult Social Care: Diane Morton (Gravesham Rural)
Environment: David Wimble (Romney Marsh)
Integrated Children’s Services: Christine Palmer (Swale)
Community/Regulatory: Paul Webb (Sittingbourne South)
Education & Skills: Beverley Fordham (Dartford West)
Highways & Transport: Bill Barrett (Ashford Rural South)
Department of Local Government Efficiency (DOLGE): Matthew Moat (Northfleet & Gravesend West)
Economic Development & Coastal Regeneration: Paul King (Dover West)

 

More from WEST KENT NEWS

  • Sevenoaks Primary School Shut by Vandals

    Hundreds of primary school children in Sevenoaks have been told they cannot return to classes after the summer holidays end on 2nd September.

  • 100 Homes for Hadlow

    More green fields are to be replaced by housing under a plan for the north west of Hadlow.

  • 500th Park Run in Dunorlan

    The Tunbridge Wells Park Run is marking a major milestone on Saturday 30th August.

  • Resisting Asylum Hotels

    Audio

    The leader of Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council has said he will "fight very hard" any attempt by the government to house asylum seekers in local hotels.

  • Oast House Restoration

    A disused historic building in Sevenoaks is to be restored and made the centrepiece of a new housing estate.

  • Paddock Wood Building Boom

    Plans have been unveiled for 500 more homes on farmland to the west of Paddock Wood.

  • River Pollution Kills Insects

    There are virtually no rivers left in Kent with a good rating for their water quality, according to the latest Environment Agency report.

  • Battle for Kent Territory Intensifies

    The Conservative leader of Tonbridge and Malling Borough has accused Labour-run Medway Council of being "disrespectful" for its ideas on carving up Kent's existing councils.

On Air Now Brian Johnson 7:00am - 10:00am
Now Playing
News West Kent Radio
Recently Played
  • Love Is A Stranger The Eurythmics 7:56
  • She Moves In Her Own Way The Kooks 7:52
  • Pink Pony Club Chappell Roan 7:46

COMING UP

  • Chris Manser

    10:00am - Noon

    Mid Mornings

  • Lunch Break

    Noon - 2:00pm

    Music, News & Features sponsored by The Arty Farty Retreat