No delay to Council Shake Up

Wednesday, 25 June 2025 18:28

By Simon Finlay, Local Democracy Reporter

The most likely future structure for Kent's Unitary Councils

A request by Reform UK for a delay to the first stage of Kent's local government reorganisation has been turned down.

Kent County Council's leader, Linden Kemkaran, disclosed she has been verbally given a “hard no” from the minister driving the changes.

Cllr Kemkaran, who represents Maidstone south east, insisted the November 28 deadline was “almost impossible” to meet, asking for it to be delayed until the end of March.

Local government minister Jim McMahon is overseeing an overhaul of the way councils are to be run in the future.

All 14 councils – including Kent County Council (KCC), Medway and all the borough and district authorities – would effectively abolish themselves and be replaced by a smaller number of much larger unitary bodies.

Kent may also get an elected mayor as party of Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner’s ‘Devolution Revolution’.

Council leaders are being asked to come up with an agreed plan on how Kent will look in the future.

Cllr Kemkaran spoke at a flag raising ceremony outside County Hall in Maidstone to mark Armed Forces Day (see below).

Hinting there may be further discussions on the extension, said: “It was a verbal, hard ‘no’ – at the moment.”

Council leaders in Kent were told via a webinar with government officials that the government intended to adhere to the existing timetable.

Cllr Kemkaran, who took over as the KCC leader on May 22 after the landslide Reform UK victory earlier in the month, wrote to Mr McMahon: “Appropriate engagement with residents on future local government structures in a county region of almost 1.9m people is a huge undertaking, and to do it meaningfully will require time over the summer and early autumn to then influence each council’s position on their preferred option, which makes the deadline of 28 November almost impossible to meet.

“I recognise that this may require you to reissue the statutory invite to all Kent Councils, but believe that if we are to rebuild public trust in our politics and political institutions, such important matters should be taken forward transparently and honestly with the residents we serve, and who fund their current and future councils through their taxes.”

Green Party leader of Maidstone Borough Council, Cllr Stuart Jeffery, confirmed government officials had turned down the KCC leader’s request.

He said: “I think that local government reorganisation is not everyone’s choice but it’s happening and we have to make the best of it.

“We can’t delay stuff because it just causes anxiety and confusion.

“We have to get it over and done with and I am pleased there is no delay even if it puts a bit of extra pressure on us all.”

Mr McMahon’s department has been approached for comment.

Reform UK won 57 of KCC’s 81 seats in May but will have to carry out the government’s wishes for the changes in this four year term, possibly within three years.

KCC’s former Conservative leader Roger Gough, who lost his seat at the election, had hoped Kent would be accepted into the first batch of English counties to be fast-tracked through. The government rejected Kent’s application.

Those councils accepted on the fast-track system avoided having to hold elections.

At the flag raising ceremony at County Hall this morning (June 24), KCC chairman Cllr Richard Palmer, a former serviceman, paid tribute to military personnel and urged people to “never forget the price of peace”.

Among the guests were High Sheriff of Kent Jonathan Neame and Deputy Lieutenant of Kent, Victoria Wallace.

Former KCC chairman Gary Cooke, who stood down before the election, Liberal Democrat deputy opposition leader Cllr Richard Streatfeild and Maidstone mayor Cllr Martin Round were also at the ceremony.
 

More from WEST KENT NEWS

  • Sevenoaks Primary School Shut by Vandals

    Hundreds of primary school children in Sevenoaks have been told they cannot return to classes after the summer holidays end on 2nd September.

  • 100 Homes for Hadlow

    More green fields are to be replaced by housing under a plan for the north west of Hadlow.

  • 500th Park Run in Dunorlan

    The Tunbridge Wells Park Run is marking a major milestone on Saturday 30th August.

  • Resisting Asylum Hotels

    Audio

    The leader of Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council has said he will "fight very hard" any attempt by the government to house asylum seekers in local hotels.

  • Oast House Restoration

    A disused historic building in Sevenoaks is to be restored and made the centrepiece of a new housing estate.

  • Paddock Wood Building Boom

    Plans have been unveiled for 500 more homes on farmland to the west of Paddock Wood.

  • River Pollution Kills Insects

    There are virtually no rivers left in Kent with a good rating for their water quality, according to the latest Environment Agency report.

  • Battle for Kent Territory Intensifies

    The Conservative leader of Tonbridge and Malling Borough has accused Labour-run Medway Council of being "disrespectful" for its ideas on carving up Kent's existing councils.

Comments

Add a comment

On Air Now Brian Johnson 7:00am - 10:00am
Now Playing
Love Is A Stranger The Eurythmics
Recently Played
  • She Moves In Her Own Way The Kooks 7:52
  • Pink Pony Club Chappell Roan 7:46
  • Travel Update West Kent Radio 7:45

COMING UP

  • Chris Manser

    10:00am - Noon

    Mid Mornings

  • Lunch Break

    Noon - 2:00pm

    Music, News & Features sponsored by The Arty Farty Retreat